A brief outline on how to obtain a plenary indulgence for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.
Plenary indulgences for the Poor Souls:
Six General rules for obtaining a plenary indulgence:
- State of grace at least when performing the indulgenced act
- Complete detachment from sin, even venial sin
- Confession (8 days before or after the indulgenced act)
- Communion on the same day
- Prayers for the Supreme Pontiff
- Indulgenced act: a special good work with special conditions of place and time
Indulgenced acts to be performed for obtaining a plenary indulgence:
- From November 1 to 8: visit of a cemetery with mental prayer for the poor souls.
- On November 2: visit of a church or an oratory with one Our Father and one Creed being recited.
A partial indulgence can be obtained any time by visiting a cemetery and praying for the Poor Souls.
The following prayer is especially recommended:
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.
Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.